Martial Arts Blogs A Journey to Shodan: Two weeks and counting...

Friday, February 10, 2012

Two weeks and counting...

Well, I guess the countdown is really on now. Two weeks until my Shodan grading – how time flies. When I break it down, it would seem I don’t really have a lot of training time left to polish everything up. Part of me is eager to just get the night over with, and the other part wishes time would slow down. I hate tests.

2 weeks = 7 classes
7 classes = 11.5 hours (or more if I stay as late as I have been after class these days)

Overall I feel like I am ready. I know my basics, I know my kata, and bunkai is coming along nicely. The trick for me will be to keep my mental and physical focus in check during the test.

  • Don’t let anyone ‘yipping’ at me get under my skin
  • Be determined, not frustrated
  • Stay in the moment during bunkai

  • Slow down and focus on the rhythm of the kata
  • Take my time, don’t rush through everything
  • Breathe

Hangetsu Update:
I'm happy to say I have finally made peace with this Kata. It is still not my favourite, but I’ve learned to co-exist with it.


  1. Great post. You sound prepared and confident. :) Good luck on your test!

  2. You sound like you know what you're doing. Good luck!

  3. Best of training to you for those last classes / practice sessions before your test! I think the mental focus is the hardest thing leading up to the test. Staying positive, not letting critiques get you down...that kind of thing. At least it is for me. Mind over matter!

  4. Thanks to all of you for the words of encouragement. As the days go by, I am realizing that the little imperfections are not going to fail me - I just need to get up there and do what I do every class - pay attention, do what I'm told and show my instructors I deserve the rank of Shodan.
    It's the anticipation that's killing me!

  5. Just remember - the test is 90% mental.

    Control the 90% and the remaining 10% will take care of itself.